Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Proving once and for all that I'm truly a nerd...

...(as if it hasn't been made clear 73075094 times in the past) this week at AMC's Monsterfest Blog I talk about horror comics that have hit the big screen.

Below I'm posting some pages from Tomb of Dracula #69, in particular the sequence I bring up in the column, the sequence that rocked my little socks B in the D. And excuse me, the third panel on the last page, page 27? Where the "dead ones laugh"? Fuck that. That's some GD scary shit. I'm telling you, this comic blew me the eff away no matter how many times I read it.

And yes, I got this issue signed by writer Marv Wolfman and the amazing amazing amazing penciller Gene Colan. I'm not one to get my comics signed, but this one is sort of special for me- it's the first comic book I remember buying (not this actual copy, mind you- that one is long gone) and it really helped put little Final Girl on the road to horror & comic...err, glory. Or something.

Holy crap, it smells like nerd in here.

Clicken ze images to embiggen, and check out a few horrifying pages from the penultimate issue of one of the finest horror comics ever produced.





If you want to read the series yourself- and I know you do- then I suggest picking up the first three volumes of Marvel's Essential Tomb of Dracula. Sure, the books are reprinted in black and white, but that only serves to make Colan's art more delicious. You can get the entire run- 70 issues!- for only a little more than cover price. I'm talking 1970's cover prices, babies! Whatta steal!

Volume One - Volume Two - Volume Three

There's even a Volume Four which reproduces many Dracula tales from other Marvel horror mags and includes killer art from the likes of heavyweights Colan, John Buscema, and Neal Adams.

Man, I should get some sort of endorsement fee or something. Meh. You know what? Making you happy is all the payment I need.

AWW, I SAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment