Search This Blog

Thursday, May 4, 2006

goodbye Jason, hello Michael

Just as Mr. Voorhees has been put on hiatus by ol' Blind Lady Justice, Michael Myers comes out swinging...a little, anyway. According to an interview with screenwriter Jake Wade Wall at MovieHole, it seems that Halloween 9 is soon to be a reality. Sigh.


OK, it doesn't sound that bad, really- rather than simply making another Michael-kills-kids-on-Halloween flick (see Resurrection) or...god forbid...reigniting that whole Thorn crap (parts 4-6), Wall's script explores Michael's years in the institution at Smith's Grove. I think that's an idea worth exploring, if it's done well. You've got the "personification of evil" locked up in a building for 15 years or so...what happened? According to Dr Loomis in the first movie, Michael just sort of stared out the window alot, looking forward to his return to Haddonfield. I, uh, assume the movie will be more exciting than that, although having Michael stare intently out a window for 90 minutes could get the critics and snobs on board; it sounds very Warhol, doesn't it?

The bad news is, Mr Wall is the dude who penned the When a Stranger Calls remake. To be honest, I haven't seen it, so I suppose it's not fair to call it "the bad news". But then, who said I have to be fair? What am I, The Legend of Billie Jean? "Fair is fair" my ass!

Mr Wall is a busy man. He's also the writer of the upcoming remake of The Hitcher, which...yeah, ok. I'm not going to go into the anti-remake spiel. However, the remake will not have Rutger Hauer nor Jennifer Jason Leigh, so frankly...fie thee, Hitcher remake. Fie. Thee. Wall acknowledges that times have changed since the original film's release in 1986, mainly in regards to the fact that "picking up hitchhikers is a no no". Thus, he had to get the villain up-to-date for the remake. I quote:

"...nobody picks up hitchhikers anymore. So I had to work on making the villain a lot cleverer… more calculated.”

"A lot cleverer"? "More calculated"? Pointing out two fucking grammatical errors in one fucking sentence uttered by a fucking Hollywood screenwriter makes me feel a little snarky. Then again, I'm jealous and I want his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment